Oven baked chicken legs are perfect for a simple but delicious dinner that you can make in less than an hour. Everyone in my house loves when I make these, little do they know how easy it is!
You can serve them with any vegetables of your choice like broccoli, sauteed spinach, or salad. I usually had a healthy carb as well like brown rice, potatoes/sweet potatoes, or quinoa.
How to Bake Chicken Legs?
It is important to make sure you pat dry your chicken legs after washing them or even if you do not wish them to absorb the extra moisture. I find it easier to mix all of the spices together with the chicken in a large bowl.
You can pour about a tablespoon of oil (I use avocado oil) to help the seasoning stick to the chicken. I find it easiest to mix everything together with my hands to make sure all of the legs are covered.
I like to cook my chicken on a rack to drain all of the fat when they are cooking. It is fine to just use a baking pan with foil but they will come out better this way.
Wash chicken legs and pat down until they are dry with paper towels. Trim off extra skin or fat. Add chicken, avocado oil, and seasoning into a large bowl and mix together using your hands.
How Long to Bake Chicken Legs?
You want to make sure to cook chicken legs at a high temperature to get the skin crispy. I recommend 425 degrees for about 40-45 minutes but make sure the internal temperature is at least 165°.
I personally like it better when I let them cook to 185°. If you do not cook it at a high temperature it is going to be rubbery and will not taste too good.
Oven Baked Chicken Legs
- 2 lb chicken legs
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 °F
- Wash and pat chicken legs dry
- Place chicken in a large bowl and add seasoning with avocado oil or your choice of oil
- Mix spices evenly into the chicken with your hands
- Spray baking rack with nonstick spray or line a baking tray with aluminum foil and spray
- Cook for 45 minutes or until internal temperature is 165°F
Tips For Oven Baked Chicken Legs:
- Make sure to pat dry for crispy skin.
- The rack helps all sides cook evenly if you do not have a rack flip halfway through cooking.
- Refrigerator 3-4 days, freezer 2-3 months.