This Mediterranean cod bake is my new favorite dish at the moment because it has tons of flavor in the fish and vegetables. You can pair this Mediterranean dish with orzo or any type of carb but it is also great by itself if you are trying to keep it low carb.
As I am sure a lot of you know by my last few blog post, I am trying to eat a more Mediterranean friendly diet. Which means consuming less meat while incorporating more fish and vegetarian recipes.Jump to Recipe
Vegetables Used in Mediterranean Cod Bake
The great thing about this recipe is that you can use any vegetables that you have in your refrigerator. If you have a bunch of vegetables that are about to go bad soon than this recipe is perfect for them! For this dish I used:
- Red Onion
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Red Bell Pepper
- Yellow/Orange Bell Pepper
- Brussel Sprouts
How to Make Mediterranean Cod Bake
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Chop and wash all of the vegetables that you will be using then place them into a baking dish.
Step 2: Coat vegetables with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, and Italian seasoning. Mix everything together evenly and spread out onto the baking dish.
Step 3: Cook vegetables for 10 minutes then remove from oven and mix the balsamic vinegar into the vegetables evenly.
Step 4: Pat dry the fish then season each side with salt and pepper. Add to the middle of the baking dish with the vegetables surrounding the fish. Next, add a slice of lemon to each piece of fish. If you have extra slices place them around the vegetables.
Step 5: Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until the cod is completely cooked through. Garnish with fresh parsley or basil.
You can substitute cod any type of fish that you like or have on hand. I personally love salmon and tilapia when it comes to baking fish. But any fish will work and will be just as delicious. If you do not like fish try chicken or even tofu to make it vegan!
Mediterranean Cod Bake
- 2-4 cod fillets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 zucchini halved and quartered
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup olives optional
- 1 lemon cut into slices
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- fresh parsley or basil garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Chop vegetables and place them into a baking dish. Coat with 1 tbsp of olive and season with paprika, Italian seasoning, and salt/pepper.
- Cook vegetables for 10 minutes then remove them from the oven.
- Mix balsamic vinegar evenly into the vegetables.
- Pat dry fish and coat with leftover olive oil and salt/pepper. Add to the baking dish in the middle of the vegetables.
- Add a lemon slice to each piece of fish. If you have leftover slices you can place them around the vegetables.
- Place in the oven for about 10-12 minutes or until the cod is completely cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or basil.