I always thought homemade pesto sauce used a lot of ingredients and was difficult to make but it is actually the opposite. If you have a blender or food processor and a few ingredients then you are good to go! I have not always been a huge fan of pesto sauce when I bought it from the store but homemade is a game-changer.
This is the best recipe for pesto sauce in my opinion because everything is fresh and not processed like the pesto you buy at the grocery store. I like making homemade pesto sauce to use for recipes like pesto chicken, flatbreads, and salads. The other night I made pesto chicken pasta with this and it came out absolutely delicious.
You are able to have more control over how thick the sauce is when you make it yourself. For example, I like my sauce a little thicker so I add less olive oil. But, if you like it runnier like the ones at the store then you just add a little more olive oil. I suggest using a food processor instead of a blender for a better consistency but unfortunately, my food processor broke so I had to use my blender. However, it still came out amazing!
Ingredients for Homemade Pesto Sauce
- Romano Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Pine Nuts
- Garlic Cloves
- Lemon Juice
Tips for Making Homemade Pesto Sauce
- Pine nuts can be expensive, so if you are on a budget try usings almonds or walnuts instead. But I will say that pine nuts last for a long time, especially if you are just using them for pesto sauce.
- Do not skip the garlic!! Of course, if you do not like garlic then maybe skip it or just use less, but who doesn’t love garlic? I think it adds a lot of flavor to the sauce so I like to be very generous when adding garlic.
- I like adding lemon juice because it gives the sauce something a little extra but it is not necessary. If you do not have lemons or lemon juice try adding a little more salt.
- Use a high-quality olive oil. Since olive oil is a big component of this sauce you want to use olive oil that is high in quality and one that you like the taste of on its own. I like to use the Kirkland brand from Costsco!
- Instead of a blender try using a food processor for better consistency. Both work just fine but a food processor will help you get a better consistency since its chops the ingredients instead of blending.
How to Make Homemade Pesto Sauce
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/2 cup romano cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt/pepper to liking
- Pulse together all of the ingredients besides the olive oil.
- Add olive oil slowly and pulse until everything is mixed.