I am still thinking about these homemade Italian meatballs… seriously I want some right now! This is definitely my favorite recipe at the moment. I am not sure if I have just been in the house for too long or what but these might be the best meatballs I ever had. Ok, I am sure there are better ones out there in Italy but hey their still AMAZING!
A lot of people think making homemade meatballs is a hard process but their actually very easy to make, or at least my way is. All you need to do is mix all of the ingredients together, let it sit in the fridge for an hour, then put them in the oven! Pretty simple if you ask me.
I used pork and beef in this recipe but you can just use beef or add Italian sausage to the mix for more flavor. I made do with what I had since I have been avoiding the grocery store as much as possible.
Tips for Making Homemade Italian Meatballs
- You can use any meat that you want like chicken or turkey to make it healthier but keep in mind you will get more flavor from ground beef and pork.
- It is important to let the breadcrumb and milk mixture sit for 20 minutes to help bind the meatballs.
- Put the meatball mixture in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to an hour to help keep the shape and let the different flavors sit.
How to Serve Meatballs
You can enjoy these meatballs any way you prefer but I LOVE putting them in a tomato sauce and serving them over spaghetti. If I am getting real crazy Ill even add in some garlic bread! However, you can use them to make a meatball sub or just enjoy them with a side salad for a healthier option.
How to Make Store-Bought Tomato Sauce Better
- Sautee chopped onions and garlic in olive oil until the onions start to become translucent. Add tomatoes sauce and simmer to let the flavors come together.
- I like to add red pepper flakes to add some spice.
- Use fresh herbs like basil, oregano, and rosemary.
- Add any vegetables that you like. I used to spinach but carrots and mushrooms would be good as well.
Homemade Italian Meatballs
- 1/3 cup Italian breadcrumbs regular works to just add 1 tsp of Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp worchester sauce
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Soak bread crumbs in milk for 20 minutes
- Heat oil over medium in a large pan and sautee onions until they are translucent
- In a large bowl fold all of the ingredients
- Cover the bowl and let the mixture sit in the fridge for an hour
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Wet hands to form balls and add to a baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through
- Add to your favorite tomato sauce!