The sauce for this crispy honey garlic chicken is what makes this recipe so delicious! I love how with every bite you get a sweet, garlicky taste with a nice crunch. I am not always a fan of sweet dishes but this sauce is just right for me.
You can always cut this recipe in half if you want to use 2 chicken breasts instead of 4.
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken
First, you are going to want to make the sauce so when the chicken is done frying you can pour the sauce all over it. If you want your chicken to have a really good crunch add it to the flour then the egg washes and then back into the flour again. It is important to make sure to cover the whole chicken with flour both times.
After covering the chicken with the batter add to the pan with hot oil (I like avocado oil) and cook on each side for 3-5 minutes.
Once the chicken is done cooking add all of your pieces to a large bowl and pour in your sauce covering every piece. I like to use tongs to move them around since the chicken will still be hot.
I served this honey garlic chicken with black beans and asparagus but you can use any sides that you like. Brown or white rice would go perfectly with this meal, if you have any leftover sauce you can pour it over the rice. Egg noodles would also be a delicious choice!
Honey Garlic Sauce
To make the honey garlic sauce add olive oil and minced garlic to a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the garlic starts to soften but make sure not to burn it or it will become bitter. Add soy sauce, honey, and a dash of pepper to the garlic. Whisk everything together and allow it to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
If you want your sauce to be thicker you can mix water with a little bit of cornstarch and add a little at a time to the sauce. You can let the sauce simmer for longer if you do not have cornstarch but still want it thicker. However, I did not do either and it was still delicious!
Crispy Honey Garlic Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 9 tbsp water
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 4 tsp salt
- 4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups honey
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce regular works as well
- I like to cut my chicken breast horizontally through the middle. Or you can use a meat mallet to pound your chicken breast to your desire. Make sure to place your chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap.
- Add flour, salt, pepper, thyme, ginger, nutmeg, and cayenne into a large bowl and mix everything together.
- Mix the eggs and water to make an egg wash.
- Add chicken to flour, cover the whole piece, and then add to the egg wash. Repeat to make the chicken extra crispy.
- Add avocado oil to a frying pan on medium heat. Make sure oil covers the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken to the pan and cook 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Place chicken on a cooling rack while you make the sauce.
- To make the sauce add minced garlic and olive oil into a small saucepan and saute for 3 minutes to soften. Add soy sauce, honey, and a dash of pepper, simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Allow sauce to cool for 2 minutes before pouring over the chicken.
- Add chicken into a large bowl and add the sauce to cover every piece of chicken.
- Serve with your favorite sides. I made black beans and asparagus.