If you are a fan of empanadas but want to try something a little healthier than fried dough you need to give these baked empanadas a try. I was not a fan of empanadas before because I did not like the grease from frying.
However, once I tried baking them I fell in love! They are straightforward to make but taste like you just bought them fresh.
Baked Empanadas Process:
Add your choice of oil to a medium-sized pan with onions and ground turkey. I like to add pepper, pink salt, and cumin to give the meat more flavor.
Add garlic after the meat is almost done, burnt garlic does not taste too good.
Let meat cool down before assembling.
Mix 2 eggs and set to the side. Add turkey mixture in the center of the disco and brush the eggs along the edges.
Fold sides together and press the sides down with a fork to make sure meat does not fall out. Put in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Brush the top with remaining eggs to help brown. If you want to prevent bubbles stab a fork in the center.
Cook for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
What Else You Can Add:
Baked Empanadas Recipe
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef
- 10-12 goya discos
- 1 goya sofrito
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 garlic clove
- pink salt/pepper add to your liking
- 1/4 cup mozzarella (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400
- Add avocado oil in a medium-sized pan with onions and ground turkey.
- Add salt, pepper, cumin and cook for 4 min.
- Add the garlic clove, cook, until meat is all brown.
- Let meat cool down to room temperature.
- Mix eggs in a bowl.
- Add turkey mixture into the center of the disco.
- Brush edges with egg.
- Fold edges together and press down with a fork to seal.
- Put in the fridge for 15 minutes before cooking.
- Brush top of the empanada with egg to help brown it.
- Poke fork in center to prevent bubbles (optional)
- Cook at 400 for 20-25 minor until golden brown.