Salisbury steak with mushroom gravy is a comforting meal that is very easy and quick to make! Once you try this recipe out you are going to agree that this is the best recipe for Salisbury steak. I mean I don’t know about you but I love a good mushroom sauce especially with tender meat.
When I was younger my mom would buy the frozen Salisbury steak meals and they would always gross me out so I never really tried it again. But my father requested that I make it for him so of course I did and I am glad that I gave it a try using real ingredients.
I’m not saying this is the healthiest recipe but it is definitely healthier than buying it from a restaurant or from the frozen section in the grocery store. Plus, it tastes so much better!
This recipe is great for busy nights when you want to make a homecooked meal but do not have a lot of time. Literally all you have to do is mix all of the ingredients together, form patties, and put them in the oven to cook!
I am not the biggest fan of burgers but to me, Salisbury steak has more flavor and reminds me of meatballs. There is so much flavor with every bite you take and honestly goes well a carb but if you want to keep it keto then just pair it with some vegetables.
If your not a fan of mushrooms you can make it without them but they hold a lot of flavors and are really good for you!
How to Make Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
When making Salisbury steak you will season ground or minced beef and cook them in a homemade mushroom gravy sauce.
- The first thing you are going to want to do is to combine all of your ingredients for the steak patties in a large bowl. I like to use a spatula at first then I will use my hands to make sure everything is evenly mixed. If you do not like touching raw meat you can just use a spatula or wear gloves when mixing.
- Add avocado oil or your oil of choice into a large skillet over medium-high and allow to heat up. Once the oil is hot add your patties and allow to cook on each side for about 3-5 minutes. You will finish cooking them in the mushroom gravy sauce so it holds the flavor. However, searing them first will also enhance the taste!
- Set patties aside and start making the mushroom gravy.
How to Make Mushroom Gravy
- In the same skill that you made the patties in melt butter over medium heat. Sautee onions and mushrooms until they are cooked.
- Stir in the flour and cook until brown make sure to not overcook it or it will become bitter.
- Add the ketchup, beef stock, and Worchester sauce, make sure to stir everything together very well.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Add the steaks back into the skillet and cook for 10-15 minutes or until fully cooked in the center.
Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1/2 chopped white onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Worchester
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp worchestor
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 lb brown mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cornstarch optional
- Add all of the ingredients for the steaks in a large bowl besides the oil and mix everything together.
- Shape 4-6 patties. I doubled the recipe and made about 12.
- Heat oil over medium and then add the patties for 3-5 minutes on each side. Remove patties and set aside.
- Sautee mushroom and onions until they are translucent in the same pan you cooked the patties in.
- Melt butter over medium, stir in flour and cook until brown. Make sure its light or it will be bitter, pour in beef stock, add ketchup, and Worchester. Stir everything together.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. If adding cornstarch mix with a little bit of water and add before steaks, stir everything together.
- Place steaks in gravy and cooked covered for 10-15 minutes or until cooked completely through.