This greek chicken and potatoes recipe is one of my favorite meals to make when I want to just put some ingredients into the oven and leave it for an hour.
My last post was a Coconut Chicken Curry recipe where I talked about how I am going to be recreating some of my favorite cuisines since we are in quarantine. I am really missing my favorite Greek restaurant right now… especially their hummus and warm pita! Maybe I will try that next!
This greek chicken and potatoes dish is full of flavor thanks to the lemon garlic sauce. I think we can all agree there is no such things as too much garlic.
All of the ingredients in this recipe are pretty clean and if you decide to cook your chicken in the pan before the oven you can use avocado oil for a healthier alternative.
How to Make Green Chicken and Potatoes
You can marinate the chicken if you want for a few hours before cooking in the lemon garlic sauce. However, I did not and it was still delicious. But of course, there will be more flavor if you do.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
2. Peel and quarter potatoes, add to a pan with chopped onions. In a large pan brown chicken on each side for 2 minutes then add on top of potatoes and onions.
3. Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, rosemary, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Pour evenly over the potatoes, onions, and chicken.
4. Add chicken broth to the pan but do not pour over the chicken. Add a lemon slice to each piece of chicken and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on when potatoes are tender.
What to Serve with Greek Chicken
This dish is pretty filling but I also like to add some type of green. I made sauteed green beans in garlic but spinach, asparagus, broccoli, or any green vegetable will work. If you want to keep the tradition going you can make a greek salad or serve it with warm pita.
Greek Chicken and Potatoes
- 6 chicken legs/thighs
- 1 tbsp avocado oil any cooking oil
- 3 russet potatoes or 1 pound small Yukon gold potatoes halved
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 sliced lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pat dry chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Peel and quarter potatoes, add potatoes with chopped onions onto a baking pan or sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large pan heat avocado oil or any cooking oil over medium heat, add chicken, and cook on each side for 2 minutes or until they start to brown.
- Add chicken into the pan with potatoes and onions.
- In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, rosemary, and nutmeg.
- Pour lemon garlic sauce evenly over the potatoes and chicken.
- Add chicken broth into the pan but not on the chicken. Place lemon slices on top of each chicken leg/thigh.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until chicken and potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.