This creamy mushroom and spinach pasta is delicious and perfect if you want to skip out on meat! I have been incorporating more vegetarian meals into my diet which is funny because I used to always say I could never skip out on meat or fish with my meal. Mainly because it felt like you could never get full without that source of protein.
When I cook pasta I like to use chickpea pasta because it is healthier, lower in carbs, and has more protein. Not to mention there are literally no nutrients in white anything especially white pasta. Don’t get me wrong I still have it but for the most part, I will use chickpea or brown rice pasta.
The key to this meatless pasta is the mushrooms and spinach because it gives it a lot more depth and flavor. In my opinion onion and garlic are essential for almost any dinner dish that you are making. The caramelized onions are delicious in this pasta and who doesn’t love garlic?
- If you want to keep this creamy mushroom and spinach pasta on the lighter side you can use almond milk, regular milk, half and half, or a little cream cheese/greek yogurt.
- You could also just use white wine and chicken brother if you want it to be healthier without the extra cream.
- As I said, I used BANZA Chickpea pasta but you can use any pasta that you like.
- If you do not have mushrooms or spinach you could use any vegetables that you have on hand.
How to Make Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Pasta
Step 1: Cook the pasta in a boiling pot of water according to the instructions.
Step 2: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sautee onions and mushrooms until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are a lighter brown.
Step 3: Add minced garlic, pepper, salt, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and cook for about 1 minute.
Step 4: Add white wine and cook for about 2 minutes or until the liquid is almost gone.
Step 5: Add chicken broth, heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and spinach. Bring to a boil then simmer until the spinach cooks down.
Step 6: Garnish with fresh parsley.
Watch How to Make Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Pasta
Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Pasta
- 8 oz Banza chickpea pasta any pasta works
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 cups spinach
- fresh parsley garnish
- Cook pasta in boiling water according to package instructions.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and mushrooms and saute until mushrooms turn light brown.
- Add minced garlic, pepper, salt, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add white wine and cook for about 2 minutes or until it is almost completely evaporated.
- Add chicken broth, heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and spinach. Bring to a boil then simmer until spinach is cooked down.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.