What are baked zucchini fries? Basically, a healthier alternative to french fries but still has a comforting taste. You can fry them to make it even more like french fries but I like to use the oven to keep it healthy.
Another option is using an air fryer. I like to use breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese for the coating but if you want to keep it low carb you can just use the parmesan.
How to Cut the Zucchini
The first thing you want to do is to wash your zucchini with cold water. Next, cut off the bottle and top parts of the zucchini. Next, take a knife to cut the zucchini vertically, about ½ -inch thick.
You want to make sure they are thick so they cook perfectly but not too thick. If they are too thin they will be soft and slimy. Continue to cut the zucchini vertically until you have about 4-6 fries.
How to Make Zucchini Fries Crispy
I learned this little tip the other day when I was making them. If you want them to be more crispy and have a thick coat, dip them in the egg and breadcrumb mixture twice. So, you want to take the zucchini fry, dip it in the egg, dip it in the mixture, then the egg, then mixture again. This will make the coating thicker and more delicious!
Baked Zucchini Fries
- 3 medium zucchinis
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pink Himalayan salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil, and place a cooling rack on top. Spray with nonstick spray. This will make the fries more crispy.
- In a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, parmesan, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, pink Himalayan salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the ends off the zucchini and cut into 1/2-inch wide fries.
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl.
- Dip zucchini in the egg mixture, shake off any excess and then roll the zucchini in the bread crumb mixture to coat it. If you want it thicker complete this process twice.
- Transfer the zucchini to the baking sheet and repeat until finished.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes.
Can You Store Baked Zucchini Fries
The best way to eat zucchini fries is immediately when they are hot and crispy. But if you do have leftovers it is possible to store them to keep them fresh. I suggest putting paper towels in the containers and laying the zucchini on top so the paper towels absorb the water.
They are naturally going to still get soggy in the refrigerator so you will have to pan-fry them which is the best option for getting the crisp or you can put them back in the oven.